DR. CARSTEN NICOLAUS, MD
MEDICAL DIRECTOR/FOUNDER, Oasis Medical Institute
Dr. Contreras, MD PhD, is the Medical and Executive Director of the Oasis Medical Institute in Augsburg, Germany, founded in 2006. He has been duly certified to practice since 1988. From 1990 to 2008 Dr. Contreras directed his extended general practitioner practice in Augsburg. Besides primary health care he expanded his practice focus by the following areas:
- Tick-Borne Diseases
- Geriatric Medicine (medical attendance of several large nursing homes in Augsburg)
- Diagnosis and treatment of vascular diseases (veins as well as arteries)
- Trained as qualified diabetologist
- Pain therapy
- Neural therapy
- Orthomolecular medicine
- Preventive medicine
During 17 years of his career as a GP, tick-borne diseases started to be of great and increasing importance to him and his patients. As a result of this, he decided to found the first German treatment centre which exclusively treats tick-borne diseases. The Oasis Medical Institute was established on 1st October 2006 and specializes in diagnostics and treatment of tick-borne diseases and patient rehabilitation.
More than 25 years Dr. Contreras has been confronted with patients having tick-borne diseases. He understands the complexity of the problem especially concerning the diagnosis of the attending physician and the laboratory. He knows of the difficulties in terms of the diagnostics and therapy of Lyme disease and co-infections in particular and has experience with the psychological strains of the patients in connection with their uncertainty.
His experience in treating Lyme disease and co-infections over the last 25 years, as well as numerous national and international conferences and the increase in Lyme disease patients led to the foundation of the Oasis Medical Institute Augsburg, a treatment facility for tick-borne diseases.
Dr. Contreras has been an active member of the German Borreliosis Society and ILADS for many years. 2012 to 2017 he served on the ILADS Board of directors.
Born in Lower Saxony, Dr. Contreras studied medicine in Regensburg and received his license to practice medicine in 1988. Dr. Contreras received his doctorate from the Technical University of Munich and the Rechts der Isar hospital in 1989 on the subject "Biological detection of cyclosporin A in serum after general kidney transplantation based on inhibition of interleukin-2 production".
After finishing his academic education at two German Universities (Regensburg and Munich) and medical training, Dr. Carsten Nicolaus opened his own GP practice in Augsburg in the South of Germany. Only a few weeks after the opening of the practice, he was confronted with problems of tick-borne diseases, particularly Lyme disease.
The specialization in tick-borne diseases, particularly Lyme disease, results from the proximity of his general practice in Augsburg to a nearby National Park, the largest forest and recreation area in the Western Bavaria.
In 1990, he founded a practice for general medicine in Bergheim (near Augsburg). In 2006 he founded Oasis Medical Institute, which is dedicated exclusively to the topic of tick-borne diseases.
Dr. Contreras has been an active member of the German Borreliosis Society and ILADS for many years. From 2012 until the end of 2017, he was one of Board directors of ILADEF.
Since 2011 the Oasis Medical Institute has also been engaged in research. The first project was Hilysens I (http:hilysens.eu), a FP7 research program of the European Union followed by Hilysens II (http://hilysensproject.eu/) in 2014. Dr. Contreras is one of four SME in this project.
Besides his profession Dr. Contreras is engaged in voluntary work and is a member of various professional associations:
- Member of ILADS since 2007
- ILADEF Board Director 2012 - 2017
- Treasurer of ILADEF 2013 - 2017
- CEHF Medical Advisory Board (Charles E. Holman Foundation)
- German Borreliosis Society (Deutsche Borreliose-Gesellschaft e.V.)
- International Society for Infectious Diseases
- Instructor of P.A.I.N. Initiative against pain, main focus: Training for physicians (MD, ND and NP) in pain treatment
- Past Chairman of the association ZecTect e.V., association for prevention, diagnosis and therapy of the Lyme disease and TBE (tick-borne encephalitis)
- NPA Acupuncture Society (NPA Gesellschaft zur Förderung einer naturwissenschaftlich-physiologisch begründeten Akupunktur e.V.)
- Professional Association of Phlebologists (Deutsche Phlebologische Gesellschaft)
- Environment Initiative of Bergheim e.V., 14 years as its chairman (1993-2007)
- Past Honorary judge at the Bavarian Administrative Court in Augsburg, Germany